I almost cannot remember the last time a game grabbed me the way Playerunknown's Battlegrounds has - if I don't get to play it at least once I die, I get all twitchy, like the Blue Wall of Death has passed me by and my health is slowly dropping. So I am super excited by the game's next update, which is coming on August 3.
The game's pitched itself as a battle royale, and that film is an obvious inspiration - and now that's going to be reflected in a range of new clothing inspired by the costumes in the film.
With the update three new crates will be available - the Wanderer and Survivor crates can be opened with in-game currency, while the rather more special Gamescom Invititational Crate will cost $2.50, with proceeds going toward host the event of the same name. The new cosmetic items will also be tradeable via the Steam Community market.
The new items sure look good, but there are also some bug fixes coming with the update.
- Fixed a bug where characters got stuck in doors after partially destroying them
- Fixed a bug causing the door Interaction UI to appear even after doors were completely destroyed
- You can now use consumables while browsing the inventory during a reload
- Fixed a bug where characters could not pick up items while running despite seeing the looting animation
- Fixed a bug where characters would shake in spectator mode while running
And there'll be some new features added, like the long-awaited First Person Only servers - though to begin with they're only rolling out in North America and Europe.
- 1st Person server options are coming to NA and EU SOLO & DUO game-modes
- FOV Slider for the 1st person view will be added to the game
- A new rifle will be added to the game
I'm not sure I'll be making use of the new skins - I love my urban-cam parka - but they'll certainly spice up the game.